Before last round of U21 World Championships, Dominik Kubera is in good position in the GC and still can look at the podium. Pole made a huge progress and proves that he is in U21 world’s top. Now he is focused on his goal, but he doesn’t want to ride under the pressure.
Kubera started U21 Worlds by 12 points and 5th position in Daugavpils. He was better in Leszno. On Alfred Smoczyk Stadium he scored 13 points and came to the grand final. Unfortunately he didn’t stand on the podium in his hometown, but he made a lot of points to the GC. Despite that, he’s still behind the best riders, but he’s also pleased with his performance.
- I’m glad, but there is still something to improve. Despite that, I think I did a good job already. However, I lost some points because of my mistakes, but I’m happy with what I have – said Dominik Kubera.
19-year old Unia Leszno pupil is taking part in U21 World Championship for the second time. Last year he was fourth six times. This year he scored at least one point in all but one races he took a part in. Now he won three races and was second six times. In two more races he finished 3rd. Important is the fact that he’s scoring 12,5 point per every competition, what is 200% more than in last year. Everybody can see his huge progress, but he doesn’t want to be too confident, because speedway can change minds every day.
- It’s difficult to say what caused that, but I think that is my hard work, but for sure, it’s not a good time to speculate what can I do now, because I can still finish like last year. Thinking too much is never good, so I have to do my best – said Kubera.
Last U21 World Championship round will take place on September 28th in Pardubice. Last year Kubera scored there only two points and finished 15th, what caused his fall in the GC. For sure, rider doesn’t want to remember that.
- This year I’m coming to Pardubice with a clear goal – I want to break the habit there, because I always had some problems there. I raced there two times and I didn’t feel it well. I want to show nice speedway and make a good performance – said Pole.
For sure, Dominik Kubera knows, that in Pardubice he can do something special. In U21 Worlds GC Pole is now 4th with only 5 points less than third Robert Lambert, so fight for bronze medal is still real. Of course, It won’t be easy, because Briton is one of the best riders in the world and he doesn’t have any bad days, but he also doesn’t like track in Pardubice. Kubera still believes in bronze, but he won’t do everything to get it. If this year he doesn’t step on a podium, he can always try next year. In 2018 he won U21 European championship, so he did something special.
- Five points is a lot, so it will be difficult to close that gap, but I will fight till the end. Of course I will keep calm, that’s not my last chance. If I will do it, I’ll be happy. If not, it won’t be a problem – said rider.
In the last days of July, Kubera got injured during PGE Ekstraliga meeting against Falubaz Zielona Góra. Unia Leszno rider touched Grzegorz Zengota’s rear sprocet by foot. It looked very bad and caused amputation of one of his toes. Is that affecting his performances?
- I think it is not affecting it, because I came back to the track and I’m feeling good. I don’t feel any pain or anything like that – finished Kubera.